Friday, March 1, 2013

Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce

Hi! So I have been wanting enchiladas but did not want to go out to eat, so I decided to make my own. I make chicken enchilada casserole all the time, so I thought how hard can this be?! 

I love my crockpot so I cooked the chicken all day while I was at work, this made things very easy!

Here is what I used:

4 chicken breast tenderloins
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can cream of chicken
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup pepper jack cheese
1 cup salsa
1 cup sour cream
1 tbs fajita seasoning
1/2 onion
corn tortillas
flour tortillas (my husband will not eat corn tortillias)
1 cup chicken broth OR chicken bullion
green chillis
cilantro

First start layering in the crockpot!

 
 
 
This is the seasoning I used, we love it! Got it at a mexican meat market!
 
 
I worked a full day yesterday, so this cooked for 8 hours.
Let me tell you, when I got home, this house smelled AMAZING!
Next I added the cheese, onions, and cilantro to taste.
 
 
Once I added the onion and cheese, I let heat on warm for 15 mins.
Next I began to fill the tortilas and roll into a casserole dish.
I used both corn and flour, but that is because Jon will not eat corn tortillas.
 
Now onto the sauce! I will say that this was very difficult to get pics of!
This cooked and thickened very fast!
 
First I melted 2 tbs of butter in a skillet.
Next I added 2 tbs flour and let simmer together.
Next I added 1cup water with 1 bullion cube dissolved.
 (I was out of chicken broth)
I used a wisk and smooth the mixture.
This thickened VERY quickly.
 
Once it thickened, I added the green chillis and 1 cup sour cream
 
 
Once this thickened and mixed together, I poured over the tortillas.
Then I topped with 1/2 cup grated pepperjack cheese and cilantro for color.
 
I cooked this in the oven on 425 for 15-20mins.
 
The last part was my FAVORITE!
 
 
Thank you for reading this recipe, I hope you enjoyed it! Please feel free to share! :)
-Beth


No comments:

Post a Comment