Friday, February 15, 2013

Natural Lip Balm

Ok so I LOVE lip balm/chapstick whichever term you prefer. I mean who doesnt like using this stuff right?? Ok so I have mentioned earlier that I have been looking into chemical free and natural products. DO you know what is in some of these things? No? Well here is a list I found off of a website of a product I am sure that many of you enjoy using....

 ozokerite, squalane, ethylhexyl palmitate, petrolatum, myristyl myristate, myristyl lactate, flavor, cetyl alcohol, myristyl laurate, myristyl alcohol, BHT, menthol, tocopheryl acetate [vitamin E]

Yep...If I cant pronounce these things, I am not real sure that I want them on my face, much less near my mouth.

Anywho, I started looking around online to see what products you would use to make your own all natural lip balm and I found a LOT of different variations of these things. SO...I decided to just combine things that I thought sounded good and went from there. This is what I used:

Beeswax
Shea Butter
Almond Oil
Peppermint Oil

So thats it! Here is what I did:

I gathered all of my ingredients together

 
Here is a closer look at the products
 
 
Next I grated my Beeswax, approx 3tbs rounded over. The brick of beeswax was $15, as you can see in the pic, but after grating only 3 tbs, there was a tiny nick in the corner lol  This thing is going to last a LONG time!
 
Now you have to melt it. I do not have a double broiler, which is what most people would use for this. So I used a glass pie plate and sat it over a pan of boiling water. This stuff melts fast!
I used a small wisk to stir this. Now we add the shea butter. I used approx 2 tbs.
This melted very quickly as well, and it too turned clear.
Next I added the almond oil (4 tbs)  and pepperment oil (1/8 tsp) then removed it from the heat. This is difficult to see, but when I added the oil it began to harden the wax, so I used the wisk and continued to stir as I removed from heat.
 
The final step is to pour or ladel the lipbalm into small containers. You can purchase the plastic tubes, like the ones you buy your chapstick in currently. I on the other hand found these cute pink containers and could not pass them up!
This was what I had once I spooned the wax into the containers. Note that I only purchased four because this was something I was trying for the first time. It could have easily made six.
I let mine sit overnight and this is what I had:
 
 
Lets break this down:
I used wax paper to keep my counter clean.
I used a metal table spoon, a teaspoon, and a wisk
I used a glass pie plate but you can use a double broiler if u have one
I used 3 tbs beeswax, 2 tbs shea butter, 4 tbs almond oil, 1/8 peppermint oil
*hint*Use a napkin while still hot to clean out pan, water makes it worse
 
BONUS!!!  My kitchen smelled amazing for hours!!
 
Well guys, thanks for reading! Please feel free to leave any questions or comments. I would also love to hear if you make this and what your experience was :)   
 
 
**I would also like to add that if you use this in your blog or post on any social media site, please be respectful and share my link :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment