Sunday, February 17, 2013

Respect

Ok so where I live, a shooting took place last night. A woman was shot and man who shot her was gunned down as in the hospital.

I am not writing this to talk about this tragic though...

I follow a Facebook page that is a scanner for my county. Last night this page was posting updates on this event. As they were posting updates, they were also having to monitor and delete post that ppl were posting that were disrespectful and providing info that they were asking not be shared.

SO tonight they post that they have been deleting comments and "ask that out of respect for the family, no one else comment or post on their page anything surrounding this event."

Low and behold, there are instantly over 25 posts that are disrespectful, rude, and of course all about this event.

I just don't understand!?!

If you don't like a page that YOU CHOOSE to follow, quit following. Simple right? I guess not.

These comments were so nasty toward the individual who did the shooting, the family in mourning not understanding what caused him to do this, and toward the Admins of the page.

The comments went something like this : -respect! How dare u ask us to respect this guy and his family- what kind of page asks us to respect a murderer- just delete me because I have no respect for this fool- they deserve to rot in a morgue-

You get the picture.

Ok so I was raised that EVERYONE deserves respect. I was taught that you treat your neighbor as yourself and you love everyone. Is it easy, no. Is it necessary, yes.

I guess what really got to me were the comments coming in seconds and minutes later, after asking to be respectful, were do far from what was being asked.

There are so many Facebook pages and blogs out there. We all have the choice whether or not we choose to follow them. Makes no sense to me to post hate instead of just leaving?

Ok so rant over, would love your opinions on this..

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment